Library to host ESPN writer
The Batavia Public Library will host a presentation featuring ESPN senior writer Lester Munson at noon March 16. Munson will discuss two sports books, “The Last Innocents” by Michael Leahy and “All the Way” by Jordin Tootoo. The presentation is part of the Books Between Bites program. Admission is free and attendees may bring a lunch to enjoy during the hour-long program. The library is located at 10 S. Batavia Ave. For more information, call 630-879-1393.
Messenger library to screen 'Some Like It Hot'
The Messenger Public Library in North Aurora will show the classic 1959 comedy “Some Like It Hot” at 2 p.m. March 19. The movie stars Tony Curtis Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. The screening is part of the library’s monthly Classic Cinema Sundays series. Admission is free, but registration is encouraged. For more information or to register, call 630-896-0240. The library is located at 113 Oak St., North Aurora
Here comes 'Restaurant Madness Week'
Batavia’s 2017 Restaurant Madness Week is set for March 20 24 and will include 30 Batavia eateries. For a list of participating restaurants and a coupon, click here.
The event is presented by Batavia MainStreet, the Batavia Chamber of Commerce and the City of Batavia.
From the farm bureau:
The Kane County Farm Bureau recently shared these interesting facts:
• More than 30 million acres of land in Illinois are used for agricultural purposes.
• Illinois has about 1,500 different soil types.
• The average depth of Illinois top soil is 12.6 inches.
• The average age of an Illinois farmer is 56, and each Illinois farmer feeds 156. (And that average age fact ought to fuel some concern for each of us.)
• Illinois grows more pumpkins than any other state.
Here’s what I think:
• I frequently comment about the sad condition of state government in Illinois, so I want to balance some of my criticism with a bit of praise. I had reason in recent months to visit two different facilities operated by the Illinois Secretary of State’s office, one in Aurora and another in Elgin, and I left impressed with the staff’s efficiency and professionalism. I completed my business at both locations in less than 10 minutes and was tended to by workers who were pleasant and professional. I just wanted to go on the record with that before I return to complaining about the state legislature.
• When it comes to Hollywood depictions of military drill instructors, I can’t imagine any actor topping R. Lee Ermey’s performance as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in 1987’s “Full Metal Jacket”, but Vince Vaughn does a fine job as Sgt. Howell in Mel Gibson’s Oscar-winning World War II saga “Hacksaw Ridge”. Lori and I recently watched the film, and I recommend it, but do not let the humor in this scene mislead you. The film’s combat scenes are beyond intense, and Mel really has a thing for flamethrowers.
— Share news and information about your organization or business here. Email information and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include caption information for each submitted photo.